Moth Journals

Sunday, February 19, 2006

MIEL - My Precious

'This is My Precious. The reason why I'm still hanging around.

For this little guy I've given up fashion and all things material, sworn-off men, and stilled my itchy feet.

If we are where we are, if I've been able to get through all the baby hardships like round-the-clock baby wailing and won't-eat-nothing-darnit, it's because of this little picture I had in my head. The two of us walking happily down a little dirt path.

At four years old, the little guy was already a good companion (and I'm very particular). Carried with me, we used to go around the malls on our errands while we chattered to each other. Sometimes, he would run about the stalls and be a typical hyperactive kid. Somehow, all the sales persons remembered us and would greet us pleasantly though we hardly bought anything. Maybe, they thought whenever we were sighted, there's that funny pair again. Even the taxi drivers would smile at us from the mirrors. There was surely something striking about the two of us to elicit such a response. Perhaps the happy companionship we shared in contrast to a common mall occurence - shrieking kids on the floor and irate moms.

Which reminds me. I got pissed yesterday and actually swore. Pinagalitan ako with, "Mama, bad word yan." Uhm, yeah, twas the can of Del Monte pineapple juice falling on my sandalled foot that did it. Ouch!

Some memories of Miel.

Reading, polygons, and basic science before schooling. I tried that thing Atticus did to Scout in To Kill a Mockingbird (magnificent book). With admirable results. Or maybe Miel is just really, well, smart.

Getting asked how many molecules there are in one glass of air. Darnit.

Firm refusals when I would offer to buy him something, anything.

And if on the rare time he actually wants me to buy something for him, he checks with me first with, "Mama, may money ka ba?"

A little, little hand patting me on the chest one time I couldn't keep from crying.

And in this picture, he is all grown up. (So sad, they grow up SO fast. Which is why I can't up and leave and miss you growing up, little one.) He says the Pig and the Dog are married.

Times things get bad, I just stare hard at Miel and it's okay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home