Moth Journals

Thursday, February 16, 2006

Valentine's Day, 2006

My Valentine's day dawned as I expected it. Overcast and moody. Or was it just me? This is THE day I hate working for a corporation. Valentine's Day in a school setting always finds me with bouquets of flowers from my very thoughtful students. Never mind if I've got no guy to give me flowers (would you rather have flowers AND a big headache?).

But like I said, a corporation is different. And even if my dear guy officemates wanted to give us flowers, it was virtually impossible. Everyone was broke. Even the bosses. The Boss could hardly scrape enough for flowers for the wifey.

So there it was, just getting the day over. We go home. The gang and I had planned to celebrate by eating out. Anything as long as we could hang around for a couple of hours but due to, uhm, some difficulties, we decided to go home. Until we saw the MRT crowd that is. Twas that huge, sweaty crowd that discourages you from going home. It forced us to wait it out. There we were walking Glorietta aimlessly. Finally, we pull into Jollibee, somewhere we could afford that WASN'T McDonald's.

And that's when the two amazing things that make my Valentine's happen.

While the gang was walking, James and I were having a battle of wills. He wanted me to borrow from him. I said I wanted him to treat me. Impossible he informed me. He didn't even treat his ex-girlfriends so there was no way that was happening. He jokingly shares how his ex paid for him on their first date because he had P40 in his pocket. I know for a fact that he is a cheapskate. I mean, I can't even get him to pay P10 for me on the bus. (Okay, sometimes, very rarely.)

I say, fine, sasamahan ko na lang kayo. I don't tell him I'm actually full. Edge had scammed for me a slice of chocolate cheesecake plus the Vitro boys gave me a big chocolate frosted donut from Gonuts Donuts. The Biik is broke and I (not exactly broke but commiserating) sit it out with her while the boys order their food. With us were the quiet Fer, the manyak Eric, kikay Jayvee, and of course James. They come back with trays of food.

OHMIGOD. The impossible had happened. Naglibre ang kuripot. It really floors me while at the same time, I feel unaccountably happy. We share the food and we are all laughing, eating, joking, and pretty much having one of the best times in the world. Just in Jollibee with fried lumpia, fries, and drinks.

(insert picture)

And the second miracle? Well, you have to understand Ta3's eating habits. He will never allow anybody touch his food, his eating utensils, and his glass. That day he let me share his palabok (I had a craving). So surprised. I am still reeling from the shock. Hahahaha!!!!! Quite the different guy who evidenced disqust when I was eating, hey, palabok too! and Tuts comes, picks up my fork with a half-eaten bite, and just eats from there. Alang kiyeme.

(insert picture)

I forgot the meaning of Valentine's day. It's not just for lovers. It's a day celebrating the ones we love. And I was in good company.

2 Comments:

Blogger Lia Amanda said...

good to know you had a good one :)

but honestly, there's no reason why valentine's should be the only day to spread love, not just romantic love, but u know what i mean :P

If it were up to me, I'd have valentine's everyday!

Hahahah :)

5:50 PM  
Blogger Norman said...

When you're married, you try, just try most days to be one. So that when the day comes, you give up the line for the singles and buy chocolate for the kids instead of flowers for the mom. :)

2:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home