Moth Journals

Monday, May 15, 2006

Typhoon Caloy

Being the gamers that we were, we weren't even aware of the storm. All I knew was waking up from the relative comfort of the office sofa, I glanced at the big glass office windows to see a scene that could have been taken from a disaster movie. The wind was whipping trees about and the rainwater was lashing on the cement road. Closeted up there in cement and concrete we could just imagine the fury of the storm at 6am in the morning.

Geared up and ready to battle our way home, we hang out at the side of the building waiting for the bus. We laugh at the tragedy of others. The guy who was panting and pedalling hard while his bike remained almost motionless against the push of the wind. The other guy who lost his red slipper. How they laughed as he chased after it. Another guy who seemed to do ballet and pirhouettes to get anyplace in the face of such a strong wind. And all the time, it seemed the metal post would fall on these hapless individuals.

Finally, after some anxious hours, I am home. Safely ensconsed. But then Miel is borrowed to go to a party. I have never been one to force my will on Miel. I always let him decide. Thus, he left with his grandparents to go to a party I was sure he would enjoy.

It was just us 3 girls in our house. I sleep for a deliciously long time then I wake up to a power outage. There is no electricity and no telephone. Imagine this. A dark empty house with no way of communicating with the outside world. To make matters worse, our phones were dead. No ym. No cable. No telephone. No text. No light. No nothing. Egadz! I could hardly breathe.

I force myself to fall asleep again. There was nothing else to do. I realize then that I was a slave to electricity. The reason behind my puffy eyes and stressed out life is electricity. As long as there was electricity, a city was alive alive alive. I could play online for hours, surf for more hours after that, chat with friends through ym, text them through my celfone, watch my favorite Korean telenovelas for days on tv, go through animax and cartoon channels, etc etc.

But with nothing to do for lack of electricity, I had an unexpected day wherein I slept. Like I havent slept for a long time.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home